Wednesday, 22 October 2008

A Sort of Homecoming



My Z's home! Yesterday I could finally pick her up. I thought this was gonna be a quick in-out job, but I ended up spending all afternoon and some more to get her into her new home :/ It didn't help that I had to drive all the way down to Roosendaal, which took me 1.5hrs. And lemme tell you that I was really hauling ass in that truck. At times I was doing 130 km/hr YiiiiHAAAH! :)

Marlog charged me 775EUR, which is almost as much as the car cost me! They're a big bunch of crooks! Seeing them in real life only proved my thoughts I had about them. Ah well, a lesson learned albeit a costly one.
Because I arrived at 5:15 pm at the barn, I had to off-load the Z as fast as possible in order to make it on time to Diks. Fortunately Eduard, the owner of the place, was home to help me out. We off-loaded in 15', left it in front of the barn and I took off as fast as possible. Diks
(the car rental co) wasn't too far so I managed...barely. 10 min. before closing time I came rushing in...Pheww.. Fortunately they weren't very strict about the 4hr rental period cuz I exceeded it with almost one hour.
After a quick bite to eat at home I took HJ and little maru to the barn so that they could see the Z and the place where I'll spend as much time as possible for the next few years or so :) Little maru's first reaction was "auto, auto!" :) 18 years from now she'll have the coolest ride around :)
I thought it'd be a quick job to move the Z into the barn but I couldn't have been more mistaken. It proved to be
a major PITA! The darn thing didn't wanna move more than a meter with 3 people pushing (Eduard was also there to help). No matter what we did, we couldn't get her past the entrance. Fortunately Sierk and his cousing Sander just happened to stop by (with a truck load full of car parts). But even then with 4 strong guys it felt as if we were trying to move mount Fuji. Fortunately Sierk carried a towing belt in his van so we eventually managed to tow her in. In front of the garage we had to push and pull really hard, including lifting the rear end but we finally managed. Yay!
We all admired her from up close. Too bad the front bumper's missing. These things cost a fortune, if you can find a decent one at all. Dudes thought it was a really cool ride. I'm amazed that they didn't know this type of car. Which says something about its exclusivity. We all were very surprised about the state of the body work. Sure, some dents and surface rust here and there but no major hidden body cancer. The floor panels and in the wheel wells are a different story, but even then not that bad. It's still gonna be lots of work though to get her into prime condition.
But I'll start working on the engine first as planned. First I'll try to see if I can get her running again. Makes assessment of the state a bit easier. Then take it apart bit by bit, cleaning and refurbishing every little part and put it back together again, hoping it'll run eventually :)