I had great plans for today, but things didn't go as planned. When I tried to connect the freshly charged battery I got from brother Mike, I found out that the clamp on the plus-cable was missing :/ What a bummer. So I then tried to remove the rear RH wheel in order to fix the sticking brake. With no special wheel nut wrench, I tried loosening the nuts with a socket spanner, only to find out that the lever wasn't up to the task. The darn thing bent at the slightest effort :/ So far for shiny but cheap tools.
Ah well, lots more other work to do. I took my time to figure out the emission control system (ECS) cuz that's where a number of cables and hoses are cut and some parts missing. So I found out that the air pump (pumps air into the exhaust manifold in order to dilute the exhaust gases before they're emitted) was just sitting there doing nothing. The pulley hub (which connects it via a drive belt to the engine crank) was removed by one of the previous owners and both hoses were cut thru. Well, since it was doing nothing, I just removed it. I won't be needing it (the ECS) with other set of carbs anyway.
Other parts I found out that are missing are the check valve (which prevents exhaust gas from entering the air pump) and the anti-backfire valve (prevents backfiring in the exhaust system at the moment of decelereation). The check valve opening was closed off with some sort of rubber cement, whereas the anti-backfire valve opening was just left open. So I figure they just loved the sound of backfiring. Fortunately the ECS isn't essential for the operation of the engine so I shan't be bothered restoring it.
One thing I'd planned to do actually did work out well. Removing the spark plugs, inspecting them and cranking the engine by hand to see if it moved freely. And it did. The plugs looked as they should, showing a brown/tan colour. There was some slight oil coating on all of 'em but I dunno for sure if that's because of oil leaking past worn valve guides or piston rings. The oil deposits only showed on the threads.
First thing I'm gonna do this week is order a proper set of socket spanners, ratchets and wrenches. Most bolts and nuts on the engine and body are very rusted so I'll need stuff that won't bend just looking at it. I'll most probably also order the 2 ton engine lift/crane and the engine repair stand.
By the way, it was pretty darn cold in the shed! Damn, we need that heater quickly :)
