Sunday, 28 June 2009

shop till you drop

Well, that's basically what I've been doing last week. My brother came up with what seemed to be a good ebay-shop for starter motors. I got me a reman one for $65. After that I've been scavenging ebay for some other need to have stuff. So eventually I ended up buying an Autometer #3390 tach ($138), (reman) 280ZX alternator ($68) and a set of round top SU carbs that came off a 71 Z, complete with E46 intake and lots of other stuff for $140 only! All from different vendors so I ended up paying lots of extra $$$ for shipping.
The carbs will need some rework but they come with a few rebuild kits. Most of the other stuff i won't need but it's always good to have some spare parts lying around. After some elbow grease and TLC they'll look like new again. This was a real steal. Remember that a completely restored set (carbs only, no intake or other tubing) would cost me at least $900. I'm glad I didn't hesitate clicking the buy now button and not sleep over it first. I've made that mistake before. The next morning I found out from the guy that other guys been asking why the link was suddenly gone :)
Dude's also got a complete Z that he's parting out so I asked how much for the front bumper assy. Since he'll be shipping via intl surface mail, I might as well add a bumper to it. Still waiting for the price. Hope it'll be less than $100.

And I finally started some real restoration work. I thought the air cleaner assy would be a good start. The PO wasn't quite clear in the head cuz he ended up spraying some ugly matte black over the factory orange. Not that he actually cared about doing it properly.
Anyway, after comparing it to the decriptions in the various manuals I found out that the temp control valve was rusted in the cold position. Dude must have wondered why the Z would run poorly (if at all) during cold and humid days. Since none of the manuals nor any Z-forum mentioned anything about servicing the vacuum capsule (which actuates the valve) I feared of having to buy a new assy. Either that, or sticking with this one and drive my baby on warm and sunny days only. I once had a car that suffered from carb icing on mentioned cold days and it's not fun having to pull over every hour or so. But after having studied the thing closely, I carefully started rotating and pulling on the vac capsule et voila, it came off :) It looked shitty but membrane and valve actuator were moving normally. After spraying lots of WD40 on the valve axis itself, that one slowly started moving again too (see pic).
Up next is degreasing the whole lot, media blast it and restore the orange colour again. According to some sources Chevy orange comes close enough, though any bright orange colour would do i guess.

Two more weeks before wife and kid come back again so I need to go and do lots more :)