Saturday, 17 October 2009

Shaft

Yesterday I had to baby sit my (soon to be) 3yr old daughter so I'd only planned to drop off the new tools and try out the new jack stands. But as soon as we got on the way, my little girl fell asleep so I took the opportunity do some more :) By the time she woke up, I had managed to remove the propeller/drive shaft. I was on my way removing the tranny as well but that didn't prove to be as easy as it looked. And since that little rascal was walking, and tumbling around I didn't wanna take any chances of either of us getting hurt.
Unfortunately the new jack stands weren't that much taller than the ones I already have so I still ended up working in cramped quarters. The fact that my creeper cart would hardly move on the very uneven floor (this used to be a stable) also didn't really help. But I managed eventually. Fortunately the 4 bolts weren't as hard to remove as they looked. The last one wasn't even finger tight. I didn't bother marking the flanges on the prop. shaft and diff. (in order to be able to install the shaft in the same position relative to the diff, as the manual suggested) since I'll be installing another diff. anyway.
Speaking of which. I managed to find another JY offering a diff from a 1985 Silvia (S12). The description didn't include any further details so it could either be the K R180 from a non-turbo or the R200 (most probably). Whichever it is, if the price is right (less than 120 euros) , I'll take it. I really hope it's the K R180 though cuz that'd save me a few hundred bucks on additional parts to make the darn thing (if it's a R200) fit. X-ing my fingers.