Saturday I took some time to assess the state of the Z. As I mentioned earlier, the body work proved to be in a pretty good condition. The floor panels however, are probably as bad as they could get. Fred (Flintstone) would have felt at home I guess. But fortunately new panels and frame rails aren't very hard to get.
The interior is also completely shot. Dash is cracked, seats torn and worn out, and then those idiots tried to spray the originally brown interior black. No problem, all of this can be restored to new for a few hundred bucks. But that's part 2 of the project next year.
Engine: dunno what the previous morons tried to do but some hoses and cables connected to the carbs were not just disconnected but cut through completely. Well, I do have an idea what they were trying to do and that's to by-pass all the emission related stuff that the flat tops were equipped with. The air cleaner and its housing were removed as well. Found 'em in a parts bin, together with some other unidentified interior parts. The battery tray also needs to be replaced cuz it's rusted through almost completely.
I jacked up the rear to see what was up underneath. Besides a rusted drive train, part of the exhaust's missing. Rear wheel on the rh-side didn't wanna turn by hand, which explains why we had such a hard time moving the darn thing. I guess my first job will be to loosen up whatever's stuck back there.
Still have to figure out what the various loose parts in the bin are from. Looked like they started a restoration project and bailed out prematurely. Yes, it isn't something for the faint of heart.
But let's see if I can get this baby running first. If possible, drive around a bit to check the gear box as well.
So the overall state is as expected. It'll take quite some effort to get the job done so i hope I'll get all the support from home. Check out the pix in my album.
