Tuesday, 6 October 2009

FS5W71C

This morning I received my "new" FS5W71C tranny sourced from a 1990 (Euro-spec) 200SX. Loaded it into my VW and dropped it off at the shed. Didn't have time to unpack and inspect it properly. Will try to do so this weekend.

Been doing a lot of research on differential and drive shaft swaps. Since I don't think I'll be able to find a K R180, I guess I'll have to settle for the R200 from a Silvia I found earlier. This does require more parts (money) and effort, but in the end I'll have a bullet proof rear end, able to withstand hundreds of lbs.ft of torque, should I decide to do an engine swap of course :)
I learned a thing or two but I also learned that there's a lot of guesswork filling the various forums on the web. While everybody's sticking to the 280ZXT(urbo) and 300ZXT CV drive shafts, I learned that CVs from a 1987 Nissan 200SXT are the same as 280ZXT's. After comparing the drawings from the FSMs I guessed so, but on partstrain.com I found the confirmation that I'd been looking for on forums where I found "yes", "I guess" and "no" answers. So this means that I can most probably source the CVs from the same folks who've been offering me the diff. I also found a number of 300ZXT CVs at 75euros each. Newer and probably sturdier so I just might settle for those instead.