Last week I decided to spend some time with the family because of the great spring weather. But today I had to work on the Z no matter what.
I managed to remove the other spindle pin without too much difficulty. My original plan was to wait till I'd found a proper 14 mm brass pin to drive out the spindle pin (and not damage anything while doing so) but finding one isn't as easy as it may seem. Haven't got time to drive around like crazy. So I just decided to give it a try using plain brute force. A new set of spindle pins are on their way anyway. I screwed the nut on and drove the pin out as far as it would go. I removed the nut and put it on the other side. Using the big mf impact I then spun the pin around a number of times (driving the nut tighter and tighter, but I wasn't gonna re-use it anyway) to break any bonding. And guess what, after that I could drive the pin out without too much pounding. This pin is also in pretty good condition but since the nut can't be removed anymore, it's of no use.
With the last pin out, the shock absorber assy could be separated from the lower control arm, making handling (as in lifting and moving around) a bit easier. Unfortunately I haven't got a set of spring compressors to remove the springs. With these off, work would've been even easier.
Driving out the stub axles wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be. The backing plate was supported by 2x4s and I made sure that I used a scrap piece of metal (an old file in this case) to protect the axle from possible damage due to the pounding. With the stubbies off, the backing plates could be removed. The plates and parts look pretty solid so after some cleaning and a fresh powder coat, they'll look like new again. But I won't be needing those anymore since I'll be converting to disc brakes so I might put the drum brakes up for sale.
A new shipment (roof panel! and some other parts and tools) are on their way now. I just checked and saw that the stuff had cleared customs in Brussels. So either tomorrow or Tuesday I'll have to fork out a few hundred Euros.
I really need to get me a engine hoist and get the engine out.
