Sunday, 10 August 2008

Wheel of fortune

Jared notified me that Rinkens will pick up the car on Tuesday. Good, cuz I was about to ask him what wassup.
Yesterday I received yet another set of books, 'How to rebuild' and 'How to modify your Nissan&Datsun OHC engine'. A bit of knowledge never hurt any one. Both books are complementary to each other and my Haynes manual on the 240Z. Now, if I only could find the time to sit down for a more in-depth look without interruptions from wife and kiddo :)
Just paid $70.00 for the steering wheel via PayPal. That's 13.50 for the wheel and the remainder to ship it via USPS Priority Mail International - darn :/ Checked USPS but there was no alternative to Europe. Anyway, kinda expected this. However, dude didn't accept PP; only checks, money orders. Shite, sending a Western Union MO online is gonna cost me more than the steering wheel! Sending it from the post office is a major PITA cuz it takes a lot of my time and it isn't any cheaper. So I asked the guy if he'd accept a bank transfer. Hopefully he does cuz that'd be most convenient and least expensive. But either way, this wheel is gonna cost me a fortune after all.
I found out that the steering wheel isn't made of plastic as most people assume. It was actually "wood that was impregnated with some sort of plastic/resin in a special process", according to members from the classiczcars.com forum. Restoring it doesn't seem to be a very difficult task but it is rather time consuming if you want to do it right. So I guess that'll be my first then :)
My brother Mike and I kinda decided that the 2nd one we're gonna build will be a works rally version :) The Aaltonen / Todt no. 5 is already driving around in the Netherlands but that's no prob cuz we're planning to use our own names and number anyway :) But this is just wishful thinking. Maybe I'll be completely "cured" of this restoration bug in 2yrs from now.