Monday, 29 June 2009

BongoMan

My buddy IronMan is a good guy. I hate bothering other people but in this particular case I just refused paying the outrageous shipping fee. You see, I bought this set of Nissan 240SX brake calipers some time ago. After a close inspection I noticed that the small rubber boots were shot. I figured doing a rebuild wouldn't be a bad idea cuz the internal rubbers wouldn't be in the best state either. So I went searching for a rebuild kit for this particular type of caliper. I found 'em alright, ranging from $16 to $30+. Amazon was the cheapest, but they didn't ship overseas :/ A few others did ship overseas, but indirectly thru something called bongous.com. This is one of the many companies that offer non-US customers a virtual address where the vendors can ship the goods to and bongo (in this case) takes care of forwarding it. Of course this service is at a hefty price. Now, the rebuild kit consists of rubber rings only, nothing that wouldn't fit into a normal envelope. But it'd cost me almost $40 to have it shipped.
And that's where IronMan
comes in. IronMan is actually Keisuke Nishimoto, a friend of mine doing triathlons (hence the nick name). Anyway, he resides in the US now but we still keep in touch. I explained the situation to him and he willingly agreed to help me out. So I ordered the kit from amazon and it's on its way to Boulder. The "BongoMan" will then forward 'em.

Well, still no deal on the bumpers. Dude came back to me saying that shipping costs would be "insane and outrageous" without mentioning actual figures. But I think that I'm the one to decide what's insane or outrageous. $40 for shipping rubber cock rings is what I call outrageous. $150 for a bumper assy is not. I'm willing to go a long way but not all the way to get the bumpers. Well, let's see what he has to say next.

Else little physical restoration action. Spent most of the time on planning, reading about differential conversions and making shopping lists. Swapping the R-180 diff with a R-200 would be nice but that's not my main prio for this restoration.
Later in the afternoon I had an appointment to go sailing with some colleagues. This retired colleague of mine owns this very pretty 78 yr old yacht that he's restored himself. But despite its age, it's still pretty fast. We had no problems reeling in others :) But I'm not much of a boat man. Too expensive and not fast enough, besides the fact that I can get very sea sick :) so I'll never think about buying or restoring one myself. Just got home and it's already time to crash in :/