Sunday, 5 July 2009

sauna

I promised myself that I'd prepare the engine for removal, which is scheduled for next weekend. Disconnecting wires, tubing, and some other parts that connect the engine to other systems is not the most difficult job. What makes it difficult is fighting rusted nuts, bolts and connectors in a 30+C heat. Darn, that shed felt like a sauna. Tagging and photographing all disconnected items also takes a lot of time. But I managed in the end.
The radiator and fan are off. The screws of the plate that protects the radiator section and some connectors broke off so that means some extra work later down the line. Didn't get to unbolting the gearbox from the engine. You can leave it on and remove both as a single unit, but I decided to remove the engine only so that I didn't have to worry 'bout a safe space to store the gearbox while working on the engine.
After a closer inspection of the underside of the car I noticed that i had to replace more than just the floors :/ Fortunately the doors and fenders are ok, but the lower fenders, rocker panels and the outer rear wheel house sections all need to be replaced as well. That's around $640 on panels on top of the $350 for the floor panels :/ There was a hole in one of the front rails. If I'd need to replace those, that's another $400.
But I shan't be bothered. This Z is worth rescueing. What I was really happy about was that the suspension parts were still solid, despite the surface rust. If I'd have to replace those as well, I might as well buy a new car. They will look as new after sand blasting and a fresh coat of rust protection.
Despite the heat, humidity, flies and mosquitos (it's farm land after all) it was a great day.