Wednesday, 30 March 2011

super shopper

As mentioned earlier in my R180 post I was considering upgrading my stock R180 with a 4.111 ring-pinion and Quaife LSD unit. Well, it took Todd from Wolfcreek racing some time to react but the R180 ring-pinion was still available so I did order it immediately for $325. Yay, one item I could tick off from the list. Now I need to save up for the Quaife QDF5L unit.

As far as the brakes are concerned, I've considered all options and finally made up my mind. Since the stock brakes are (I quote) "adequate for street driving, auto-x, and drag racing. If properly maintained and if cooling ducts are added, the stock brakes can even be used for road racing." I've decided to upgrade the brake rotors and pads.
After spending lots of time shopping online, I found the following rear set:
11" ('84 Z31 non-turbo) 4x 114.3 solid rotors (2x $19.78) + Hawk HP plus semi-metallic brake pads ($81.95)

Front:
(from Summit racing) Power Slot 126-42011CSL/CSR - Power Slot Cryo Brake Rotors ($148.50 ea.) and a set of Hawk HP Plus brake pads ($90.95).
So that's an awful lot more than the cheapskate set I'd initially planned to buy but these special order cryogenically treated rotors and the HP Plus brake pads should give me some more peace of mind. Summit is a bit more expensive than others but I prefer to use PayPal when possible and that's what they offer as well.

So that's a few more items I can tick off.

Only brake items left to purchase are:
- Adjustable brake proportioning valve $39 (Arizona Z Car)
- Modern Motorsports brackets + stainless steel brake lines = $240
- Replacement brake lines (need to measure the current lines)
- Brake ducts (will fabricate these myself)
Brake ductsBrake ducts