Thursday, 5 January 2012

hoist away

Left work early today to fix the roof of the shed (barn). Managed to seal the major cracks and holes easily. Despite the cracks, rain had hardly entered.
Having finished that, I had some time left to assemble the engine hoist. The instructions were next to useless but fortunately it wasn't too difficult to figure out. For some reason there were two sets of nuts and bolts so they might come in handy at some point.
I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough space in front of the car to place the hoist but fortunately that was a groundless fear. So while i was at it, I removed the hood (bonnet if you will) as well. It's mounted with just 4 bolts (2 on each side). Of course I made sure that the hood lock was supported (hanging) by the hoist, thus making it a one man job. The manual says to mark the positions of the bonnet hinge plates but since the whole body will be stripped and repainted I didn't bother.
After the hood was out of the way, I positioned the hoist such that I finally could determine the length of the slings, which I still had to order; 2 pieces of 2m should do.
Just ordered those and some other stuff so with a little luck I'll be able to remove the engine this weekend. Then I can finally start the body work. Looking forward to that!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that my rear disc brake conversion package from Modern motorsports finally has arrived!