Saturday, 11 February 2012

while the cat's away


this mouse goes out to wrestle in the freezer. Well, that's what the garage feels like. But from tomorrow on it'll be done with the frosty days and nights.
So wife and kid are away for 10 days so I actually have some time to spare :) And that's why I spent around 4hrs in the icehouse today. I finally managed to remove and disassemble the forward left suspension assy (see illustration). Needless to say it was again hard work requiring improvisation to get the job done. Removing and disassembling something that has been in its place for almost 40yrs never goes by the book. But I guess that's half the fun :)
the front suspension

On Saturday I tackled the left hand part and on Sunday the right hand part. Since the cross member (#1) was the only jacking point that could be trusted/used (the sides are completely shot), it is still in place. When doing a rebuild of this magnitude, it is common practice to disconnect the x-member and lower the complete suspension, which does make life lots easier. But fortunately it isn't absolutely necessary.
Despite all the dirt and rust, most parts are still in good nick. Blasting and a fresh powder coat will do wonders. The rubbers, ball joints, bearings, struts/springs, and badly rusted bolts/nuts will be replaced though. During its final days on the road, this baby must have handled really badly.
And this is how she sits at the moment...
See my album for the latest pix