Thursday, 8 December 2011

out of hibernation

Slowly getting out of hibernation while the outside temps are dropping. I've been inactive too long. But now that things at home have settled a bit, I can start building my dream again. So I've decided to stick to my planning and tackle the body work first. For that I need to get me an engine hoist and remove the engine. Then I can start removing the front suspension and only then I can start working on the floors. Looking forward to it :)
I'm planning to TIG weld the floors but won't be able to do so until February next year cuz my welder of choice has been sold out and won't be stocked until then. But that's no problem cuz I'll be needing time to fit the panels anyway. This welder is quite a lot cheaper than the one I had in mind initially, and it has the same and some extra features too. For the price of the other kit, I get a 10l bottle of Argon as well! Other bonus is that they're close to work so I can drop off and exchange bottles easily.
Also, I'm planning to make my own frame rails rather then spend major buck$$ on the bad dog frame rails. Having them shipped would be a killer. The company where I'm planning to get my sheet metal from seems to cut and bend according to your specs as well so why not give that a try. So I need to get measuring soon.
Yesterday I ordered the rear disc brake conversion brackets from Modern motorsports. That's $356 (Canadian) incl. shipping. This guy Ross has a reputation of being an "ill communicator" but in my case questions were answered within the hour and business was done within a day. He even offered to state a lower declared value for customs purposes :) Hope he'll ship it within the promised time frame (this week) though.
So if all goes well, floors, frames and other body work should be restored by March.