Sunday, 18 December 2011

rim shot

Just a small reference table for tyre - rim combos available for my particular application. Here's a more complete overview.

Rim size (PCD 4x114.3) | Tyre size | Reqd. rim size
15x7 or 15x8235/50-15
245/50-15: Hoosier R6
Dunlop SP8000
-
16x7.5 or 16x8
225/45-16
245/45-16

7 – 8.5
7.5 – 9
17x8.25F 235/40-17
R 245/40-17
8 – 9.5


The 17x8 - 245/40-17 combo gives the most tyre options. -0.3% Speed difference vs 195/70-14. All of the rims below have a positive offset, which moves the wheel more to the inside. Wheel spacers may be needed to clear struts or brake discs, and to move the wheels outside in order to justify the flares :)
why you'd want flares

Which brings me to the question to flare or not to flare...I do like the aggressive look of flares over ultra wide 275-sized rear tyres, but I also like the more subtle look of 245s tucked neatly inside the (lightly rolled) fenders. Also, I'd hate cutting up the fenders, which is required when installing flares. Cost-wise, smaller rims/tyres are the way to go for now so I might opt for that route, for stage I at least.

Rim options
5Zigen ProRacer ZR+520
$204 ea.
Work Emotion XD9
(Matte Bronze) $418 ea.


XXR 527 ~$530/set
my fav for non-flared
Rota RB-R ~$800/set
Rota Grid ~$730 + $190 shipping
offset: +12mm
XXR 002 ~$120 ea.

XXR 002 16x8 | 4x114.3 | 0mm offset | 3.5" lip
73.1mm center bore | 16.2 lbs

XXR 006 ~$180 ea.
Rota D2 $170 | 17x8.5 20mm offset
Rota D2


15" options
Old skool cool. Unfortunately, there aren't many wide 15" tyre options (at least not in Holland).
Volk Racing TE37V - front 15x8.5 (-5 mm) rear 15x8.5 (-5 mm)
Nengun ~€1,626 incl. shipping
TE37V
Rota Grid-V

If I'd have the money, the Work Meister CR01 would be it! But Rota D2s in the same colour should come close.
Work CR01