Tuesday, 17 July 2012

trolley snatcha

Been working real hard today on a new and improved castor wheel construction. That thing I built last week didn't work. While testing it, I thought it'd be better to incorporate the two scissor jacks and all four castor wheels into the design pictured below. I thought it'd be cheap but in the end I spent €60 on multiplex board, €40 on hardware. If you'd add up the cost of the wheels, jacks you'd end up paying around €200! Darn thing is pretty heavy but it works and the most important thing is that it feels real solid too; no flex whatsoever.
jacks of all tradesbest place to jack and support

Initially it was designed to support the chassis aft of the floor panels but I couldn't get there because the support stands were in the way. I'm glad they were cuz the rear frame turned out to be a better jacking/support point, and if I want, I can even use the "moustache bar" mounting bolts to tie the trolley down. Had to mount the jacks more inwards and now they line up with the castor wheels.
At the front it's resting on the wheels so now I can move it around quite easily. I hope it'll load onto the truck just as easily next weekend!
To mount the jacks and wheels to the 30mm thick multiplex boards (12+18mm), I used M10 bolts and close fit 12mm (OD) sleeves. Simply because I couldn't find M12 bolts. But the sleeved M10 bolts work better in the wooden board since the bolts have no chance of enlarging the holes. Cutting and deburring the 20 sleeves took an hour but it was well worth the effort.